July 19, 2019 / By sprayfk_admin
Cavity Wall Insulation Costs In Toronto
Professionals give a rough estimate that %35 of heat loss from the majority of homes happens through uninsulated walls. By installing cavity wall insulation, you are reliably improving the energy performance of your home, saving you money on heating and cooling bills and keeping your warm.
WHAT EXACTLY IS CAVITY WALL INSULATION ?
In the past, building practices would use a double wall method where there would be an inner wall, and outer wall, with a cavity between them. The idea was that the cavity would prevent water from penetrating from the outside through the wall. However, those open cavities will allow for heat to travel from the inside to the outside effectively overworking your heating system.
When this cavity is filled, it is what we refer to as cavity wall insulation and can be filled with various insulating materials. The most commonly used material is spray foam insulation which is pumped into the cavity through holes which are drilled in the external wall. Your home is a candidate for cavity wall insulation if:
- The brickwork or masonry is in tact and not crumbling.
- The walls are empty cavity walls.
- You aren’t experiencing damp issues by exposed walls to driving rain.
- It’s more than 10 years old and the walls are empty cavity walls.
THE COST OF CAVITY WALL INSULATION
Cavity wall insulation isn’t suitable for all walls. It’s critical to have your walls examined prior to having any cavity wall insulation installed. Walls that are exposed to the elements, especially rain and wind , may unfortunately not be suitable. persistently filling these expose walls to these harsh conditions may lead to damp issues, especially if it is mineral wool is used.
The size of your home will determine the costs associated with cavity wall insulation, and the insulating material the contractor uses. There may be grants available which can cover a significant portion of it or even all of it. In the next section we go over estimates of the savings made from heating bills and return on investment when you invest in cavity wall insulation.
HOW MUCH CAN YOU SAVE WITH CAVITY WALL INSULATION PER YEAR
There is no doubt that cavity wall insulation will save you money on your energy bills, but how much money? How long will it be before you get your investment back, and is it worth it? Have a look at some of the projected savings over a year in various type homes:
- A detached home can cost up to $1500 to insulate, and it can save you up to $500 in savings a year, giving you a payback period of 3 years.
- For a semi-detached home , your investment might run you $800 and save you around $260 per year leading to a 3 year payback.
- A townhouse can have installation cost of $625, and can save you $175 a year which leads to a 3-4 year payback.
The ROI figures above, and the savings you acquire from this energy efficiency measure, there is no question that cavity wall insulation is worth the investment. Be sure to consult with professionals first to determine if the walls are suitable.
CAVITY WALL INSULATION, POTENTIAL PROBLEMS
Some people experience moisture issues right after they have installed cavity wall insulation. In most of these cases, these moisture issues were over-looked during inspection prior to installation, or the actual installation was poorly executed, or the simply the walls weren’t suitable. Here are a few things you can look out for to not get into any of these moisture issues:
- Be sure to not fill any walls that are prone to direct rain contact, as they will likely get wet.
- Obviously if there are any pre-existing moisture problems, they should be dealt with prior to any cavity wall insulation.
- The inspector should make sure to check the brick work close to the cavity being filled to look for good integrity, and make sure there aren’t any cracks in the brick.
If you take any of these measures, it is very unlikely that you’ll experience any moisture issues post instalment. A professional cavity insulation contractor should direct you wether your walls are suitable or not.
Get a free estimate contact Spray Foam Kings today for your next cavity wall insulation price estimate. Check out our article on the cost per square foot of spray foam insulation for your home or business here: